Please note: "Next blog" button will load a random, non-LLL blog. Click at your own risk.

Erin's LLLI Conference Blog

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Tuesday July 5th

OK, ok... I have come to the realization that I prefer sleep to exercise... so my grand thoughts of attending the early morning walks or the pool aerobics classes never came to fruition... oh well... it IS a comfy bed with FOUR pillows!!!! I did get up at 6:45 this morning as Elizabeth (the lovely voice hosting the podcasts) asked if I would like to do a podcast with her... I agreed and we met at 7:30 this morning so that I could attend the first session. Actually, the podcast was quite a neat experience... the technology astounds me, and Elizabeth is very pleasent and easy to talk to (so check it out ya'll!!).

The first session this morning was Gordon Neufield - I have always wanted to hear him and his topic was great, "Hold Onto Your Kids: Why Parents Matter". Then it was onto another great presentation, Jeanne Driscoli speaking on "Women's Moods: What Every Woman Must Know about Hormones, the Brain, and Emotional Health"... I enjoyed this one very much and even went to the bookstore and purchased her book. Did you know that women have 15% more blood flow to their brains - no wonder we are better at multi-tasking!!!!

The luncheon speaker was Audrey Naylor who spoke on "Breastfeeding - Modern Miracle: A physician takes a look at the health benefits of human milk". She had lots of slides to show of breastfeeding around the world.

I popped into the Alum Rejuvenation room and had a Mary Kay facial/make-up (which was a great thing as I did not bring any make-up with me, not that I wear a lot to begin with, but with the gala just a few hours away it was nice to do).

My afternoon session was "How to Be Cherished: A guide to having the love you desire" presented by Marilyn Granman. Things said were things I know and/or am working on in my relationship. I will state that I do disagree with her advice to have a 2 hour date night once a week with you partner - now, no, I do not disagree with this idea, but if you have very young babies I think getting a babysitter and going out "alone" is not necessarily the right thing to do at this point in your parenting... I feel there are lots you can do at home or out with the baby as a couple. Just my thoughts... what do you think?

I wanted to mention that the past two days we have been entertained at meal times with the "Chance to Dance" and "Chance to Cheer" participants - these youngsters appear to have worked very hard and did an excellent job at entertaining us with their new skills.

This evening is our last meal together. It is the "Gala"... everyone dressed lovely for this... there was a reception which ended up being all over the hotel as people walked around and spoke to friends old and new. Dinner was very nice and the teens "Chance to Dance" performed for us - great job all! The final general session was presented by Lu Hanessian - "Let the Baby Drive: Navigating the Road of New Motherhood". This was my first knowledge of Lu, and she is a great speaker... she ended the evening with performing two songs from her CD (which I bought and she signed for me!!) and then the conference was closed by Fred Scheff.

What a wonderful time - wonderful presentations, nice people, gorgeous babies - I am sure 2007 in Chicago will be just as special!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Heidi Hougham said…

    I agree with Erin that bringing your baby with you, or planning at home family time is more appropriate when you are nursing a young baby.

    Heidi, Burlington Monday

     

Post a Comment

<< Home